We collect all kinds of wood...
• Clean dry timber
• Whisky barrels
• Joinery off-cuts
• Lengths of wood
• Floor boards and solid wood doors
• mdf, ply and chip board
• Solid wood
...and turn it into everything from planters, benches, tealight holders and spatulas, to outdoor classrooms. Even our gift vouchers are hand made from blocks of recycled wood!
Glasgow Wood Recycling work with other local organisations, creating bespoke pieces for projects. A few of these include...
• Kilmarnock YMCA garden, where we created a beautiful green space with trellised seating area from a dilapidated car park
• Bankhead Primary School's exciting outdoor space, a refreshing new area to spend break times
• Dalduff Farm wedding venue's rustic dining trestle tables and benches
Volunteers are at the heart of what we do, and we also provide training courses for those keen to learn. We train volunteers in furniture making, with a number of modules to improve their employment prospects, and many graduates have found job opportunities as a result. Our six-week course, WOOD Unlimited course funded by Big Lottery. This aims to tackle social isolation through woodwork. It is a health and wellbeing themed course aimed at reducing the impact of loss, isolation and loneliness.
What have you learnt that others will find most useful?
- We have created a community with shared goals. Volunteers from the local community have been a big part of our success.
- Our ability to create bespoke pieces for local businesses, schools and residents means we can really connect people with our ethos of recycling and upcycling in a tangible way that benefits everyone.
Measures of success?
Read more: https://glasgowwoodrecycling.org.uk