Effective on March 5, 2020
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE
WHO WE ARE AND HOW TO CONTACT US
Carbon Copy (www.carboncopy.eco) has been set up to convene people who are engaged in local environment and climate action in their local communities, in civic groups and in councils across the U.K., to enable them to accelerate change. Our services are designed to help you and others to copy, share and adapt the best low-carbon initiatives, and build momentum behind hundreds of Local Climate Action Plans.
The site is operated by Carbon Copy Network ("We"). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 12315756 and have our registered office at 38 Eton Wick Road, Eton Wick, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 6JL.
We are registered as a charity with the Charity Commission for England and Wales under number 1187420.
To contact us, please email [email protected]
BY USING OUR SITE, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS
If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use our site.
REGISTERING FOR AN ACCOUNT
When you register for an account on our site, you become a Member. If you have chosen not to register, you may access certain features as a Visitor.
You agree to use a strong password for your account, and to keep it confidential and not transfer any part of your account to another Member or Visitor.
You may only have one Carbon Copy account, which must be in your real name. We may close any account that we reasonably believe has been opened in bad faith or where we believe you have registered more than one account.
We recognise that some users will wish to register because they are involved in a community organisation or group. You may indicate one organisation that you belong to when you register; in the interests of transparency, you must identify it by its formal name.
For the purposes of registration, we do not require evidence of you organisation’s constitution or status, but please be aware that any awards that we give will be made only to organisations that are formally constituted, and we will require evidence of an organisation’s status before making any award.
Creating an account with false or misleading information is a violation of our terms, including accounts registered on behalf of other persons or belonging to more than one organisation at a time on our site.
USING YOUR ACCOUNT
You are responsible for anything that happens through your account unless you close it or report misuse. Your account belongs to you. However, if you open an account in your capacity as an employee, trustee or volunteer of an organisation, that organisation may (under its own policies) have a right to control access to and get reports on your use of our site.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at [email protected]
You agree to keep your contact information up to date so that we may keep in touch.
CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT
You may close your account on our site at any time. When you do so, you lose the right to access or use the site as a Member, but we may still:
• use and disclose your feedback; and
• retain content that you have posted on the site and allow other Members and/or Visitors’ to have access to that content, provided that you may at any time remove your content from the site.
SHARING OF CONTENT
Our site allows Members to message and share information in many ways, such as discussion posts, images, file attachments and links to articles. Information and content that Members share or post may be seen by other Members, Visitors or others. Where we have made settings available, we will honour the choices you make about who can see content or information. Information and content that you have posted on our site may be removed directly by you at any time.
We are not under any obligation to publish your information or content on our site, and we may remove it with or without notice. Our focus is on building more momentum behind collective local climate action and we would not publish content of the following kind:
- Implemented by individuals or nationwide
- Cannot be copied
- Main beneficiaries are not local
- Done in isolation or in-house
- Greenwashing e.g. by oil and gas companies
- Creates secondary emissions or ecological harm e.g. imported biomass, blue hydrogen
- Socially exclusive or divisive
THERE ARE OTHER TERMS THAT MAY APPLY TO YOU
WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO OUR SITE
WE MAY SUSPEND OR WITHDRAW OUR SITE
Our site is made available free of charge.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
WE MAY TRANSFER THIS AGREEMENT TO SOMEONE ELSE
We may transfer our rights and obligations under these terms to another organisation. We will always tell you in writing if this happens and we will ensure that the transfer will not affect your rights under these terms and conditions.
WE MAY USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
UPLOADING CONTENT ON OUR SITE
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Code of Conduct below.
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and other users of our site a gratuitous worldwide, transferrable and sub-licensable right to use, store, copy and modify that content and to distribute it on our media channels and make it available to third parties as we see fit. This licence is not exclusive, so you may choose to make your content available to others, including under the terms of a Creative Commons licence
Please note that, while we may edit and make format changes to your content (such as transcribing it, modifying the size, layout or file type or removing metadata), we will not modify the meaning of your expression.
We have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Code of Conduct below.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content and agree that we are not under any duty to store your content indefinitely, and that we may delete content from our site after such period as we may see fit.
We welcome feedback about our site. If you submit suggestions or other feedback to us, you agree that we may use and share it for any purpose without compensation to you.
STATUS OF CONTENT ON THIS SITE
The content on our site is provided for general information only. Material provided by Members, including those on our Advisory Panel, represents their views only, and is not intended to amount to advice from us on which you should rely. You should make your own decision about what advice you should take before acting (or refraining from acting) in accordance with any content on our site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WEBSITES WE LINK TO
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
USER-GENERATED CONTENT DOES NOT REPRESENT OUR VIEWS
This website may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the site, including to bulletin boards and chat rooms. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
While using this site, you may encounter content or information that is inaccurate, incomplete, delayed, misleading, illegal or offensive (“Harmful Content”). We do not undertake to review content provided by our Members or others and you agree that we are not responsible for others’ (including other Members’) content or information. We cannot always prevent misuse of our site, and you agree that we are not responsible for any such misuse. You also acknowledge and accept the risk that you or your organisation may be mistakenly associated with Harmful Content.
Our site may enable you to register for and/or attend events organised by Members and connect with other Members. You acknowledge that we do not review and/or approve any such events and you agree that we are not responsible for the conduct of any of the Members or other people attending such events.
HOW TO COMPLAIN ABOUT CONTENT UPLOADED BY OTHER USERS
We respect the intellectual property and privacy rights of others. We require that information posted by Members be accurate and not infringe the intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties. If you have a complaint regarding content posted by our Members, please use the reporting feature within the site or contact us directly at [email protected]
OUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. It is not intended for commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- If defective digital content that we have supplied damages a device or digital content belonging to you and this is caused by our failure to use reasonable care and skill, we will either repair the damage or pay you compensation. However, we will not be liable for damage that you could have avoided by following our advice to apply an update offered to you free of charge or for damage that was caused by you failing to correctly follow installation instructions or to have in place the minimum system requirements advised by us.
- We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
RULES ABOUT LINKING TO OUR SITE
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact [email protected]
CODE OF CONDUCT
You agree that you will:
- comply with all applicable laws (including, without limitation, privacy laws, intellectual property laws and anti-spam laws);
- share accurate information with us and with others;
- be honest in your claims regarding your learning, insights and projects undertaken; and
- use our site in a respectful and professional manner.
You agree that you will not:
- create a false identity on Carbon Copy, misrepresent your identity, create a Member profile for anyone other than yourself (a real person), or use or attempt to use another’s account;
- develop, support or use software, devices, scripts, robots or any other means or processes to override any security features or to scrape the site or otherwise copy data from the site;
- disclose information that you do not have the consent to disclose (such as confidential information of others);
- post anything that contains software viruses, worms, or any other harmful code;
- sell or otherwise monetise any content on the site or related data or access to the same;
- advertise or sell professional services on the site;
- interfere with the operation of, or place an unreasonable load on, the site (e.g. spam, denial of service attack, viruses, gaming algorithms).
WHICH COUNTRY’S LAWS APPLY TO ANY DISPUTES?